Finding Scholarly Sources
Getting to the Databases
Use the browse feature available in many databases to help you focus on a topic.
Use Advanced Search options to limit your results to certain types of information or particular date ranges.
Search with a variety of terms including synonyms to get a variety of results.
STEP 1: General Background Research
For quality sources
- Gale US History in Context and Gale World History in Context
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (TIP: search for History in Dispute)
- Gale Opposing Viewpoints in Context and Gale Global Issues in Context
For primary sources
- Gale Smithsonian Primary Sources in US History
- Bloomsbury Churchill Archive
- Library of Congress
- NewsBank: America’s Historical Newspapers 1690-2000
Step 2: Identify a Scholarly Debate & Formulate a Research Question
Step 3: Read, Write, Repeat
For scholarly research
- EBSCO eBook Academic
- Any Gale database – just use the advanced search to limit the results
- Directory of Journals with Free Access
For a complete list of GCM databases
For help with your research